Your car’s transmission is the part that moves the car through its gears as you increase or decrease your speed. Most cars on the road today are either manual or automatic transmissions. The transmission uses transmission fluid to do its job, and you need to ensure that the fluid is at the right levels and in good shape so the transmission can do its job well.
Types of Transmissions
Your car either has an automatic or a manual transmission. An automatic transmission does the work for you. It senses when the car needs to change gears and takes care of it, with little input from the driver. A manual transmission has a clutch and a stick shift, and the driver must sense when gear changes are needed and take care of it for the car. While manual transmissions are easier and less costly to maintain, they are more challenging to drive.
Common Problems with Transmissions
Transmission problems can be costly to repair, but sometimes spotting them early can help. Some signs that you may need transmission service or have a problem with your transmission fluid include:
· Fluid leaks: If your car is leaking a pink or red fluid, then you may have a transmission fluid leak. Low fluid levels can allow your transmission to overheat, which can lead to premature failure.
· Check engine light: If the check engine light comes on, it can be from any number of problems. Sometimes, those problems are with the transmission. The only way to know where the problem lies is to get the diagnostic code off of your car’s computer, and that requires proper diagnostic equipment from a qualified professional.
· Transmission feels off: You know what your car should feel like when it’s shifting. If it feels like it is grinding, shaking, or clunking when you make an increase or decrease in speed, then you probably have a transmission issue.
· Unusual sounds: Similarly, if the transmission makes any unusual sounds when you are shifting gears, then you need professional service.
· Will not go into gear: If an automatic transmission will not go into gear quickly, then there is a problem that needs to be addressed.
Transmission Fluid Flushes Can Reduce Risk
While you may not be able to eliminate the risk of transmission problems altogether, having regular transmission flushes can help you protect your transmission from unnecessary risks. For most vehicles, transmission flushes are recommended every two years or 30,000 miles. Check your owner’s manual to see what is recommended for your vehicle, or talk to one of our mechanics for expert advice.
If you need help with your transmission or are ready to schedule a transmission flush, reach out to the team at our shop. We will help you protect your vehicle, so it will run for many years to come.
Toot'n Totum Car Care & Wash (34th Ave.) in Amarillo services the needs of Amarillo, Borger, Dalhart, Pampa.
Toot'n Totum Car Care & Wash (34th Ave.)
806-322-6042 Car Care
806-322-6043 Car Wash